Title: Outings and Outreach Coordinator
Status: Part-time, 20 hours per week
The Friends of Gold Butte is seeking a part-time coordinator to assist with Gold Butte outings and community relations in Mesquite, Nevada in support of permanent protection for Gold Butte. This position is based in the City of Mesquite.
The primary job responsibility for this position is to effectively motivate, mobilize and coordinate Mesquite-based volunteers and supporters to achieve the mission and goals of the Friends of Gold Butte. The successful candidate will work directly with the Executive Director and the FoGB Board of Directors. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop knowledge the Gold Butte area and the issues involved in the on-going conservation effort.
- Organize and lead outings to Gold Butte and follow up with participants.
- Outreach and communication to potential and existing supporters in Mesquite via in-person meetings, phone, email, and social media.
- Engage with potential and existing supportive community groups and local community leaders about the benefits of protecting Gold Butte.
- Organize and lead campaign update meetings and educational events in Mesquite.
- Collection and data entry of petition signatures and support letters.
- Generate letters to the editor (LTEs) to local media outlets that support protecting Gold Butte.
- Provide staff support for tabling and community events to advocate for protection of Gold Butte.
- Assist with fundraising efforts and events for Friends of Gold Butte.
- Self-directed and motivated and the ability to work independently.
- Personable, polite, and proactive demeanor in all FoGB related work, in public settings, meetings, and on the phone.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail for tasks such as data entry.
- Proficient with MS office suite and Google email and docs programs.
- The ability to use, or learn, social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Must possess an appreciation for outdoor places and will support land conservation efforts in Gold Butte.
- Must be comfortable operating a high-clearance vehicle on dirt roads. Possession of a high clearance vehicle preferred.
- Must be able to hike between 1 and 6 mile distances with a backpack and be comfortable leading others into remote desert environments.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain Wilderness First Aid certification.
- Knowledge of the Gold Butte area strongly preferred.
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred, but not required.
Please email a cover letter, resume and references (2 professional, 2 personal) to email@example.com by February 15, 2016. In the subject line, write “Coordinator Position.” In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in land conservation, why you are interested in protecting Gold Butte, and any experience you have leading small groups in the outdoors.
The Friends of Gold Butte is a 501(c)3, Nevada non-profit organization. Our mission is to achieve permanent protection for Gold Butte’s natural and cultural resources. We work to protect, explore, and restore Gold Butte through education, community outreach, and advocacy. Please visit our website to learn additional details: www.friendsofgoldbutte.org